So I’ve embarked on a new project- the Teslacon 2013 blue and yellow gown!  After making 4 gowns for 2012, I told myself (and my husband) that I would only make 1 for this year. So the last month has been filled with sketching, plans, patterns, picture references and fabric sourcing.  I have some fantastic vintage beaded fabric (very little) in a delicate yellow color, and happened to find a great match at Supreme Novelty Fabrics in Chicago.  That is the ONLY good thing I can say about the store though- nothing but a headache from start to finish and I’m just glad I will never have to deal with them again.

So, I have my 12 yards (twice as much as I originally ordered, forced to a new minimum yardage- yes, that was one of the headaches) of yellow silk, and I’m trying to think of new and fantastic ways of using it, since I have so much.

My starting point is Truly Victorian pattern 405. The date is earlier than I’m going for, officially, but I’m making adjustments to the pattern. So, here it is:

Image

Now, the pictures I’ve seen of the finished product aren’t so… shapeless. In fact they’re very nice, so I decided to take a bash at it.

Three mockups later…. I’ve extended the sleeves above and below the elbow 5/8″ each, plus an inch at the cuff. Always easier to take some fabric off than to add it on, and my arms are a little long. I’ve also opened up the armscye to a more comfortable size, and adjusted the sleeve to match. I took the end of the shoulders up a little because, even if it’s supposed to be a sloped shoulder I feel like it’s a poor fit when I look at it on myself. Plus, there are a lot of menswear inspired details and very crisp tailoring in my plan, so I think a sharper shoulder will look good.

The final mockup:

Image

The waist was short but that is common in these vintage patterns, so I anticipated it. However, it seemed to be short primarily in the back- when I extended all the pieces I got wrinkling around the waist of the corset. So I extended the back piece 1.5″ and graduated it to no extension by the time I got to the front basque piece. Kind of odd, but workable… that’s why I do the mockups for these old patterns!  I also added an inch to the center of the vest, so I have some room to play with the placket details. You never know.

Now that I have that done, I can cut out the fabric pieces and dye them. Oh, did I mention I’m going to try dyeing my fabric? Ha, fingers crossed! I have this great fabric that is actually close in color to another inspiration picture:

e71ada4fbb63be1b1504352105b97765

And it’s striped, but I want it to be a deep blue. BUT nothing is ever easy- the stripe with the pile is 100% cotton, while the twill stripe is a blend. So I will get a two-tone blue, which may work very nicely. But I’ve never dyed large amounts of fabric before, so I’m making the mockup first, then cutting out the fabric to make the dye baths more manageable.

Point being, after lots of sketching and brainstorming on ideas for the back of the skirt…

Image

I’ve finally come up with my plan. Since much of the decoration is 45 degree angled pleating, and corresponding angled beaded pieces at the vest and jacket tail, I went with a design that will echo the V shapes and repeat the theme of pleating. accenting with covered buttons in the same fabric:

Image

Really final plan for new Teslacon dress. Subject to change, of course.

So, stay tuned, I’ll be posting in-progress pictures and commentary!

Advertisements